Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The Opening of The American Mind

"Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy." - Dr. King


Now that Barack Obama has taken the oath as POTUS for a second term, I cannot help but wonder if this is perhaps the only time I witness a man of color - or any ethic minority for that matter - elected to the highest position of political power in America. Hopefully, it isn't the case. We can never be satisfied. I reflect back four years ago and recall the completely overwhelming feeling that overcame me as Obama initially won the presidency, and become captivated in the moment all over again.

"A black American elected as leader of the free world."

What a land, and so improbable, considering the racially-divided principles in which this great country of ours was built upon. Shortly after the first set of nearly 645,000 slaves arrived, beaten and tortured, at no point did any of these unsuspecting souls figure the day would appear where someone with the same skin tone would emerge as leader of the proud defenders of then-impossible Western thought. Yet, in spite of the lack of opportunity and horrors inflicted, the day arrived.

Although none lived to witness - as descendants, fellow black Americans currently bear witness to the feat in the form of applause, laughter and tears. Emotions that perfectly coincided with Dr. Martin Luther King's words recorded nearly fifty-years ago in Washington, D.C., "Let us not wallow in the valley of despair." Similar to King and others beforehand, there is no doubt in my mind that such realized dreams will continue to inspire generations for years and years, even if you and I aren't there to bask in the reality.

So, while acknowledging the hard road uphill that accommodated blacks in America, it is only fair to recognize other cultures that await such a historic significance. Meaning, it should neither start nor stop with President Barack Obama. Whether black or brown or yellow or red, man or woman, let us all join together and recognize the appealing fact that we've somehow progressed into a multicultural society.

America, the beautiful.

9 comments:

  1. I think the President's somewhat unique upbringing had a lot to do with his success in getting elected POTUS. Had he been an African American born to two Black parents, descended from enslaved Americans, and born and raised in Chicago, would he have been elected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one thing I can say about you, I am always forced to think further after reading the majority of your comments. To answer your question I doubt very seriously if a dark-skinned or Fight The Power type of black man could ever win POTUS. While America has come a ways, we haven't come THAT far, as of yet.

      Obama's eloquence and charm goes a long ways as well.

      Delete
    2. Hmmmm.. I was thinking the same thing. What if his name was Rodney Jackson from Chicago, and lived next door to the Evans family on the Chicago Southside?

      "Keeping your head above water! Making a way when you can!!!!"

      Delete
    3. I am over here DYING at you singing the theme song from Good Times! Hilarious.

      Delete
  2. Both Val's and your response make perfect sense to me. I have always thought the same things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "it should neither start nor stop with President Barack Obama."

    wholeheartedly in agreement...

    America the beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forefathers/mothers paid a heavy price for the road to where we are now and Dr. King, Jr. prophesised where we are today. Bob Marley likewise stated in his song War, "Until the colour of a man's skin; Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes..." It's half past time to see past skin colour, gender, and religion and come together as a collective one people. I understand that social considitioning is one of the prime reasons why we still remain with such levels of ignorance, but a twice-elected man of colour; regardless of his shade and family background should be the barrier-breaking point of understanding and unity.

    I said in my post that the timing of the inauguration being on Dr. King, Jrs birthday not being a coincidence and I stand firmly by that. I believe that we're moving toward something bigger and more powerful than we can imagine. The Tea-Party and GOP collective are seeing that people want, need, and deserve more and they have to stop playing games.

    We live in fragile times and I hope and pray that we'll get the future for our children that they can be proud of.

    Sidenote: Lil Lady is bi-racial and was once asked what it's like having a white father? and she replied, "I don't know. What's it like having a black father? How would I know anything different than what I have?" She was also asked, "what are you?" Since she can pass for Hispanic as well as she can pass for a light skinned black woman. Her reply, "a girl!"

    My point is that my daughter has been raised to be who she is and not what she's mixed with. She embraces her respective races and embraces the cultural diversity that has been passed on by her parents. Furthermore, she's been raised to accept ALL people for who they are and judge them solely by their actions. I believe we've done a fine job in raising a well-rounded child, so again; it's my hope that she can be a part of a UNITED States of America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the commentary, Blu.

      I understand that social conditioning is one of the prime reasons why we still remain with such levels of ignorance

      Exactly. It's to the point where I am beginning to realize that those responsible are actually wanting us to hold onto certain stereotypes and biases against certain cultures, including our own. While no ethic group is perfect, I think we as a society will be much better off once we admit to the fact that deep down inside we are ALL the same, skin color notwithstanding.


      Her reply, "a girl!"

      Good answer.

      Delete
  5. I cried the day he was elected 4 yrs ago. Then I grew up and became more conscious and learn more about my culture, my country and myself. If he was a dark skinned black man...100% black would he have won? Absolutely not. If he had an anything but black wife would he have won? Absolutely not. Did the majority of black people vote for him because he was black? Absolutely.

    I don't think in my lifetime there will be another minority president, so I'm soaking it all in. No matter the reason, right or wrong that he's president...he's my president and there is a black family that resembles my family in the white house. It's a beautiful thing.

    www.notacookie.com

    ReplyDelete

speak on it