Wednesday, January 16, 2013

It Bey-gins with The Second Letter of The Alphabet

"I walk like this cause I can back it up." - Beyonce



So what does one call a woman who walks it like she talks it?

Somewhere around '98, I watched a music video on BET featuring an upcoming female group from Houston, Texas. Although the ballad No, No, No was sultry, it didn't move me, and thus wasn't anything to write home about. At a time when multi-talented artists Lauryn Hill and R.Kelly completely owned pop charts, in my opinion, Destiny's Child needed a song that demanded attention. Weeks later, I recalled a live performance introducing a hip-hop driven remixed version of the song which featured Wyclef Jean's vocals and thought to myself the group now had the right idea. Apparently so did others, as the song bolted up charts and announced the group's arrival. Then came the coming-of-age Soul Train awards performance where the group strutted onstage to welcomed applause. Not quite "the young Supremes" as Wyclef had suggested, unless of course, he referred to the level of disparaged interest between lead singer and fellow members. Even then, few confused Beyonce Knowles as Diana Ross. Fifteen years later, who could've possibly imagined that both would one day be together in terms of worldwide velocity.

Yet there are some who, to the day, continue to front as if they don't really want it.

Sweet dream or beautiful nightmare. Not since late rapper Tupac Shakur had a recording artist drawn such conspicuously different responses on opposite ends of the spectrum. Beyonce's critics are contradicting, to the point where I've occasionally wondered if in fact it is actually Beyonce who is being referred. Opinions so polar that I once interrupted a conversation and insisted to be shown an image of Beyonce to ensure it wasn't Nicki Minaj or Lady GaGa. Simply put, I cram to understand the amount of criticism hurled at an artist so irreplaceable. There is none like Beyonce.

Usually, whenever a flamboyantly beautiful woman struts into the room, many are taken aback. I've noticed this to be particularly true involving women. It isn't necessarily the physical features that leaves others threatened, as much as the overall bold nature. Human nature teaches that any act which is considered offensive results in a defensive reaction. In this case, Beyonce is all but expected to humble herself when in reality she has little to do with another woman's insecurity. Imagine yourself in Beyonce's shoes - which in all probability you have, and consider the enormous amount of hard work it took to reach and maintain current position in the industry. At no point are good looks and ego alone expected to become the meal ticket, end of all ends. Although appealing to the eyes, striking beauty never equated to the overall talent and high-level sweat that defines the core of Beyonce's dime piece. Success wasn't given, it was thoroughly earned.

For as long as I can remember, when it comes to women, the music industry has exacted a certain image within videos. The flawless woman who possessed nothing but top-notch qualities. Beyonce personifies this image. So, work ethic aside, to witness someone like Beyonce defies logic and leads one to insist that she is fake. Cause a woman as fierce as Beyonce cannot possibly be real, can she? While it's possible to simply not prefer Beyonce, I hardly believe as much to be true in instances where so much energy is invested into the woman's every move. If only I had a dime for every time somebody claimed utter disdain, then proceeded to offer opinion upon every last one of her songs and videos. Furthermore, and to add perspective, the majority of women hurling criticism towards Beyonce's excessive pussy-popping stage performances are the same women in favor of Roe v. Wade, which allowed women the right to do as they preferred with their bodies. Enchanting, or so I've heard.

Truth is - Beyonce is "your girl." She paid dues, made the right moves all across the board and continues to hold it down, despite unfounded resistance. Sure, there are other beautiful and talented and hard-working female recording artists such as Adele, Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Jill Scott, to name a few. But none as beautiful and talented and hard-working as Beyonce. If Diana Ross is The Boss, then Beyonce is The Boss of All Bosses. The Upgrade. Your favorite female artist's favorite female artist. King B.

Again, what does one call a woman who walks it like she talks it?

A bad bitch, period.

26 comments:

  1. I'll let The Bey-STANS have this post (ALL To THEMSELVES...)

    ENJOY !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh you poor misguided soul, lol. ya'll can definitely have beyonce cuz i surely want no parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO.

    I'll give it to Beyonce...she is bad. I'm not a B stan but I do like her. The people behind her have done a great job from day 1 marketing her. They need to give lessons. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marketing is exceptional.

      Not sure if Roc Nation is wholeheartedly responsible, but I've noticed the label's top artists are packaged and advertised extremely well.

      Delete
  4. Big round of applause for that woman has proved her self above abd beyond. My only issue.. where is the real B at? the management turned the black woman into a am gonna hold my tongue right here.

    Her curves gone her nose, thinner, hair going more down the bleach blonde route??? C'mon I understand with changing times gotta keep things current but heck, how many ways can an industry manufacture a black barbie doll?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of which are very good points you've raised. I will play devil's advocate here and note how you've pretty much described the industry on a whole, as it pertains to sistas and crossover tactics.

      Delete
  5. "Beyonce is all but expected to humble herself when in reality she has little to do with another woman's insecurity."

    I think that is what it is with a lot of women. Insecurity. She got the perfect career. The perfect man. The perfect life. That's just to much for us!

    And some of us just don't care for her. I don't like her music. I prefer the stronger singers like Jill Scott or Kelly Price. That's just me. And most of that is because I am not a youngster. I would most likely like her if I was 30 or below. I am not. I liked her better when she was with Destiny Child. But everyone has to grow and expand. And that is what she did. And she is a success. She's doing what a lot of female singers WISH they could do. Be famous. Break records. And make that money.

    And it's all the more sweeter when you can do it in the face of people who say you can't do it.

    I think Beyonce is a marketing genius. Look at this $85 million pepsi deal. I bet she don't even drink pepsi! LOL!

    And look, Don... Isn't much of this gyrating and half-nakedness for the MENFOLK? And Not directed towards the women? Isn't that most of her appeal anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Val ----> STOP IT NOW!!!!! #LMAOOOOOOO ;-D

      Delete
    2. She's doing what a lot of female singers WISH they could do. Be famous. Break records. And make that money. Truth. Do you recall the phase in the music industry that occurred maybe two or three years ago where it seemed the majority of female singers were imitating Beyonce? To me, that is the highest form of flattery and it just goes to show the overall impact. I had no idea she had $85 million dollar deal with Pepsi. Wow. I don't see her drinking Pepsi, either. Lol.

      Val and ELove with the jokes. Lol.

      Delete
    3. LOL I Laughed when I read perfect man too, but hey, he's perfect for her. Plus, power and money and the respect that he has as Brooklyn's unofficial president speaks volumes. Whatever he's doing, he does it well.

      Delete
    4. I meant the whole "perfect man" comment in the vein of him having all this money and clout and swag. You KNOW these chicks out here will be bending all over if they had the chance. He's not the cutest fella in the world, but the money? Makes him "perfect". LOL.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a Beyonce fan but I gotta say, her camp is doing the damned thing! I agree with Lee, she is a marketing genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think of a particular song when I think about Beyonce. The lyrics go; "the lights are on but nobody is home" For me, in order to admire someone's talent, I have to feel as though they are more than just 99% marketing and 1% talent. And that's how I feel about Bey. I did like Destiny's Child however. But, Bey as a solo artist, nope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WAS WAITING FOR YOUS Too... I SHARE Your Sentiment and IT sounds Much Better coming from A FEMALE (YUP...) #LOLOL ;-D

      Delete
    2. Good point, Val. I too perceived Destiny's Child as to be more of a singing group that happened to crossover into the mainstream, while Beyonce came out of the gate as a "pop star."

      Delete
  8. Reading this reminded me of the many post about Kim Kardashian. No, the 2 women are nothing alike, but it amazes me the negativity that is associated with them. Kim K gets called a 'whore' yet every man that society has known her to be with she's actually been in a relationship with. I've heard "she's an attention whore" well according to television ratings people enjoy watching her too so I just don't get it. That girl is living her life, with her millions and now her man.... I'm not an all out Bey fan but she got it. I'm with LadyLee....wouldn't say perfect but her husband is on top, her career is still booming and now a beautiful baby girl. Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too never understood the criticism surrounding Kim Kardashian. At first, I figured it was the sex tape with Ray J. But now I'm not so sure.

      Delete
  9. I'm gonna call her what she wants to be called.................period.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love Beyonce. I don't understand the hate but it kinda just is what it is. It won't go away and im sure she understands that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE Beyonce!! I love her music. I love her look. She makes me so proud to be a black woman.

    Hell, she could be one of these crazies on the reality TV shows sleeping around with someone's else man, speaking file in a language we can barely understand, but she's not.

    At a VERY young age, she had a dream. And she made it come true.

    You go, B. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beyonce is every thing and so was this post! You said it best, insecurity and the notion that Bey has it all are the things that spark the intense hate she gets. The truth is though, she's a perfectionist and worked her tail to the bone to make it where she has today. You ain't gotta like her, but you WILL respect her.

    ReplyDelete

speak on it